Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sandwich Bread




I love bread! I think I have confessed my love of carbohydrates before but you can never give too much love. Raisin, sourdough, sweet, salty, garlic, love you all. Today we were out! Almost as bad as being out of milk, but that just doesn't happen around here, I live with the milk nazi. Alarms are sounded when the jug nears empty.

No one panicked or cried, well ok maybe I did but only because I have been under the weather and now had to bake bread. I could have gone to the store and picked up a loaf but I know for a fact that not only will I end up spending 30 dollars on food we don't need, I would have to get out of my pjs! After little sprout (my son) went for his nap, I went to work.

I've played with a few recipes and this is one is now the staple in the house. The crust is absolutely, hands down the best part. T who does not eat crusts on bread or pizza ate the crust! Yes he is one of those eaters! Each pizza night I am left with my crusts plus his and a bottle of franks red hot sauce. Total bliss. Anyways...tonight he was dipping his crusts in soup! He was eating the crust. IT IS THAT GOOD.



Whenever I bake bread, I plan all my meals around it. For lunch I remembered Elvis with a PB and banana sandwich. For dinner I made chicken noodle soup which rocked our socks off. It was so good, I stood up after dinner and took a bow.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!" I said with the lip curl. Love cooking.


I had two of these babies, soooo good


Sandwich Bread

  • 2 envelopes of yeast (each packet is 2 1/4 tsp if you are using jarred yeast)
  • 2 cups of warm water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tbsp margarine melted
  • 2 tsp margarine, for the bowl melted
  • 6 1/2 cups flour, divided

  • Measure your warm tap water and pour into your mixing bowl, sprinkle the yeast on top. Give it a good whisking until all dissolved and let it rest until it starts to foam.
  • Once the yeast has foamed add in your melted margarine and sugar, whisk again
  • Add 3 cups of flour and mix, until flour and yeast mixture is combined
  • Start to add the rest of your flour and mix until all incorporated
  • Lightly flour your surface and turn your dough out onto the surface, begin to knead for a couple of minutes
  • In a buttered bowl place your dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about a hour, the dough should double in size
  • Once risen punch dough down onto floured surface
  • Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, or something that resembles a rectangle, you want the dough to be thin but not thin enough to see through.
  • With your hands, roll your dough tightly, starting at the long end
  • Place seam side down, and cut the dough in half
  • Grease two loaf pans
  • Place the loafs seam side down in pans, tucking the ends underneath
  • Cover and let rise for 20 minutes
  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
  • Brush the tops with melted margarine and place in the oven
  • Bake for 35 minutes until, the bread will sound hollow when you tap the top
  • Cool on wired racks.
  • Yum


1 comment: