Friday, February 3, 2012

Portobello Mushroom Burger


I am not a vegetarian nor have I ever been a vegetarian. I am a carnivore, I love meat and lots of it please.

This past year my mom got diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. The day she finished chemotherapy we threw a party to congratulate her. That night at the dinner table she told us all she was becoming a vegan. I looked at her and told her I was never coming for lunch again. My mom is one of my favorite people to brunch/lunch/dine with so this "vegan" lifestyle was not a option.

She was my inspiration to make this burger. When you have cancer you have to limit your red meat intake but who doesn't love a burger? I took a portobello mushroom (removed the stem and gills) brushed on a balsamic vinegar and olive oil glaze, and dusted a little oregano and basil on it. I broiled it in the oven for about 3 minutes per side. I layered on my favorite burger toppings, a slice of cheese, garlic aioli (still working on that one), and used one of my homemade buns.

Best vegetarian burger I ever had-I didn't miss my beef or the grease one bit.

Enjoy!


Portobello Mushroom Burger
  • portobello Mushroom
  • splash of balsamic vinegar
  • splash of olive oil
  • pinch of dried basil
  • pinch of dried oregano
Broil in your oven 3 minutes per side. Toast your burger bun towards the end of the mushroom cooking time if you want a toasted bun. Layer with your favorite toppings

Need inspiration-here is what I am thinking for toppings:

- avocado
- roasted red peppers
- red onion
- lettuce
- tomatoes
- swiss/cheddar cheese
- pickles
- dijon mustard



3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ashley
    Love your blog!
    Can't wait to try the burger!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad she didn't do the vegan thing. What could we possibly eat at White Spot???

    ReplyDelete