Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Buns, Buns, Buns


I love the smell of fresh bread! Don't you?

Last summer I took my moms bread maker from the cabin in Kelowna and to my condo in Port Coquitlam. One day before I had to pick T up from work, I loaded all the ingredients in and turned it on. We were going to have hamburger soup and fresh bread for dinner, I was pumped (also 5 months pregnant and hungry). On our way home a fire truck came racing past us and I looked at T and said "it's probably the bread maker". We giggled for a few seconds until we realized there were four fire trucks outside our building; wasn't too funny anymore. We slowly drove by our patio to make sure there was no smoke coming out of the windows and all was clear. T looked at me and said "Chinese sound good?" That night someone down the hall set their kitchen on fire, our kitchen smelled like a bakery.

Just like a hot cup of cocoa on a cold day, the scent warms me from my head to my toes. I pluck a bun off the baking sheet, breaking it open, and watching the steam rise off the bread. I spread on my smooth, creamy peanut butter, and take the first bite. Mmmm so delicious I am left speechless plus I have peanut butter stuck to the top of my mouth.

Hungry yet? Here is the recipe.

Enjoy!

2 Hour Buns
Adapted by www.food.com

  • 3 cups warm water
  • 2 tbsp yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 6 tbsp oil
  • 7 cups of flour

  • Combine yeast and warm water. Stir that yeast so it dissolves and bubbles begin to form on the surface of the water-about 10 minutes standing time
  • Combine sugar, eggs, oil, and water/yeast mixture. Stir till combined.
  • Add in your flour one cup at a time and mix until stiff dough forms.
  • Dot the dough with oil.
  • Let rise for one hour uncovered in the same mixing bowl, punching the dough down every 15 minutes
  • After one hour form into buns and place on greased baking sheets. We like big buns so we get 14 huge buns out of this recipe.
  • Cover buns with a tea towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
  • Once risen bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes















No comments:

Post a Comment